Sunday 27 November 2011

Spider

We saw a ridiculously huge spider yesterday. I asked a local if it was dangerous and his response made it clear that he thought I wanted to know if it was dangerous to eat, which apparently it was not. In case you hadn't guessed, eating it had not really crossed my mind. While I wasn't exactly concerned about the reverse scenario, it seemed reasonable to think that it might make an attempt and, in the process, leave a bit of poison behind or a take a small chunk of flesh. Somehow, the rest of the conversation involved recommendations on other edible invertebrates I should sample. The question really arose because I wanted Leah to hold up a familiar object close to the spider so I could give you a sense of scale when you look at the picture. Somehow I ended up holding the lens cap and she took the picture. The spider did not get eaten. Nobody got poisoned. You are getting your sense of scale.

Post-posting edit - my brother-in-law informs me that this spider is a Giant Golden Orb Weaver aka Nephila Spider. Thanks, Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment